Gear

Thursday, July 21, 2011

From North to South to North

For a few brief days I cycled in splendid northern Utah.  Sure, the road to Vernal was one of the worst I have ever rode one, getting air horned off the road by a passing semi, but once there, not only did I have the pleasure of a days rest with a great warmshower host, but I also got to watch the new Harry Potter. Yay.

I left Vernal heading due north, despite the warnings of 8% grades and 10 switchbacks, which were true but not as bad as it sounded.  I headed north to Flaming Gorge National Recreation area, a place I knew nothing about nor had heard of till recently.  I was pleasantly surprised.  After cycling uphill for a while through various rock formations, the aspen grove began and a new world greeted me.  At the top of the climb, I hit red canyon.  The canyon is about 4,000 ft wide and 1,700 feet deep, a mini grand canyon with nobody else around.

I skirted the gorge on the west side, bombing downhill at 44.7 mph (my fastest ever) to the little town of Manila before crossing out of Utah and back into Why oh Why Wyoming and camping at the edge of the gorge.  A windy night and i was on my way back into the high desert of Wyoming, crossing through the bustling town of Green River where i visited the free museum and waited out yet another storm.  A long 95 mile day through desert and i camped at a BLM site where there were more mosquitoes then any place on earth.  also, a storm that had 40 to 50mph winds howling at my tent for 20 minutes, but i survived.

Two more day riding in the desert, camping in BLM land and I am now literally at the foot of the Grand Tetons in Jackson hole.  I am staying with friends of a warmshower host who have warmly welcomed me to their home.  Tomorrow, I will actually bike to the park and spend a night or two there before heading north into Yellowstone where I will battle RV's and Bison and Bears, spending again a few days camping and hiking before finally heading into western Montana.


Thats where I's at yo.  Check I say Check out the photos: picasaweb.google.com/rossbikepics and remember you can send me mail at

Ross Guberman
Sonadei, LLC
PO BOX 99133
Seattle, WA 98139-0313
USA



Keep pedaling.

No comments: