Gear

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Land of Cheese

Did you know that no other state produces more cheese than Wisconsin? Well, you do now. But I didn’t know it until I came to this fabled land. I saw Wisconsin as my next Ontario, a place to visit but most likely pretty quickly onto other places, like Minnesota for example. But to talk about Wisconsin, I of course have to talk a little bit about Michigan.

After leaving Marquette, I made a bee line westward towards Ironwood city. It took me two days, besieged by monstrous thunder storms that howled like the devil howling loudly, with me finding shelter only moments before the onslaught of rain and lightning. These storms brewed, flew, and left quickly and all day long for days on end. I also saw a moose, had a dog chase me for nearly ½ a mile, and saw a wolf which I thought was a coyote but I now think was a wolf which is even scarier. It was really big. Despite the winds, the storms, and the rains, I made to Ironwood and to another example of the amazing hospitality of people, especially warmshower hosts.

A mile out of Ironwood and I shed a tear for Michigan, and said hello to Wisconsin. The day would leave me in Ashland, where I couchsurfed with some bike friendly Northland College students for two nights. Ashland, like many towns in this area, were once very rich big cities thanks to all the various metal ores that were mined. But no more. Ashland, like all the other towns and cities, are struggling as the mines and economy dry up. What will be the fate of towns like Ashland? That depends on the communities I suppose.

From Ashland, I decided to follow the Bayfield Peninsula, which would let me tick off another national lake shore, Apostle Islands, and also let me have at least a little time in Wisconsin. A beautiful day full of sun, warmth and headwinds and I camped the night in the town of Herbster. The next morning, with a nice 5:30am wake up, I was on the hilly road again. Until, the bear. Yes, I have now come across my first (hopefully last) black bear. As I was climbing the hill, about 50ft in front of me I slow a large, slow moving object. It was a bear. I sat and watched the bear lumber into the woods, waited another few minutes to be sure it was gone, and continued on my way. Later on, I saw a deer (not very exciting) but I also say it's tiny, amazingly cute, spotted baby. Seeing the baby deer, which looked like a rabbit from far away, is one of the greatest treasures I have gotten thus far on my trip. Want more baby deer, less bears.

But that’s it for Wisconsin. A four day sojourn that reminds me of Ontario, only I ended up in Duluth Minnesota this time, not Michigan. But I enjoyed Wisconsin. The wildlife, the spring waters, the cheese hats. Yes, strangely, everyone was wearing a cheese hat. All the time. Well, from Duluth I follow the Munger Trail, 3rd longest paved trail in the world, and from there... who knows. So, till then, keep pedaling.

No comments: