Gear

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Land of 10,000 Bike Trails

It seems Minnesota has nearly as many bike trails as it does lakes.  I rode on three major state trails, over 100 miles of paved, off road cycling pleasure.  And now, having traversed the state from top to bottom, I am in the fabled city of Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  But how did I get here....

Minneapolis
Leaving the Twin Cities was a pleasant, 40 mile bike trail system called the Grand Rounds, which let me cycle around three lakes (one twice just for fun, or because I missed my turn) and took me to a bike trail following various highways till I was way out of town and on my way to my couchsurfing host in Faribault.  A pleasant night with good conversation and the next morning I was on a bike trail again, another 40 miles, towards my amazing warmshower hosts for the night in Mankato.  I followed the Sakatah Singing Hills State Trail and popped out into Mankato.  A great dinner, a personalized tour of Dotson Iron Casting (saw white hot iron being poured and molded) and a great nights sleep, and I can say i truly enjoyed Mankato.

Then the rains came.  And they have yet to let up as many living along the Missouri river know first hand as its been flooding like crazy.  And with the rains have come the flat, non-ending farm lands.  Spent a night in a reconstructed 1800's wood cabin, and visited Pipestone National Monument and camped the night away in Split Rock Creek State Park.

That brings us to now, Sioux Falls where I am staying with a warmshower host before heading west into the vast interior of South Dakota, and where more rains await.  I take the good with the bad, the ups and the downs.  Often I smile, sometimes I frown.  I pedal each day, across this great land, making my way... bingle by bingle.

Keep Pedaling.

No comments: