Gear

Friday, May 6, 2011

Low Bridge, Everybody down


And so Binglers and Binglets, here I am. Day 3 of Day 365 on my one year, North America circumvention Bicycle Tour and Discovery Adventure, or NACBTADA for short. My NACBTADA started from the hamlet of Burlington, whence I lived for about a year and a half. So let me keep it real and give some love to my hood. The sunsets in Burlington very likely can't be matched anywhere, nor can the vast multitudes of amazing people. Let me name a few using an Egyptian method of cataloging things:

  • Mark (my senile elderly housemate). Mark is a person who will sing in the highest falsetto no matter who is in the room, or what room he is in. He keeps aflame his childlike qualities, perhaps better than an actual child. His skill set is unique, and ultimately, he is a great friend.
  • Christine (greasy hand girl I rode bikes with). I have met few people as independently strong as Christine, and for her young age, as smart as she is. Yes, she rides a bike embarrassingly too small for her, but that doesn’t matter. Her kindness when it counts makes up for it.
  • Bear (aka Trixie aka God and Lord of the 1488 Manor). I love her like no tomorrow.
  • Joe (Joe). The best and worse thing about Joe is Joe. But that’s whats so great about Joe. And also not so great. Either way, he's a loveable teddy bear who'd flirt with your mother but make you laugh till you cried while he did it.
  • Melissa. To keep this blog short, all I need to say about Melissa is that I have never known, currently don't know, nor will I ever know any person with a heart larger than Melissa. Her unbounded compassion and love is something that will always be a light in my life. Thank you.
Naturally, Burlington has its cast of characters that also make the city fun and strange, but I’m biking and not there so lets move on shall we. But also, while not from Burlington, my family deserves much thanks. While I don't always understand the things they do, as I lead my normal sane life they have never once not supported me in my endeavors, and there isn’t more I could ask for.

I have so far only bike 210 miles. I am now along the Mohawk river (where the Erie canal is) and will follow it to its beginnings at Lake Erie. I have stayed with couchsurfing hosts in Glens Falls, warmshowers hosts in Spanker (which nobody has ever heard of) and Utica, Syracuse and don't know from there.

Three days, two days of rain and wind and one sunny windy day and my legs aren't yet in touring shape. I'll need a few more weeks, and god damn did I pack a lot of heavy things. Hopefully the forecast forecast sun and warmth. I haven’t worn a t-shirt yet!! and I packed 3!!!! I am already making a small list of things to get rid of. First is the stupid u lock I brought. Next, maybe the sleeping bag. Anyway, no crazy stories or adventures yet, just tough cycling to get this whole thing going. So for now, keep pedaling.  Oh, and check out Melissa's blog where she writes all about me: http://9adventures.wordpress.com/

2 comments:

Lucas said...

First

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating journey you are on, please be safe as you know we will be worried about you! I can't wait to follow you and your experiences....I'm so proud of you that you are following your dreams and passion...it takes a lot of courage!

Love your cousin Alysse