Gear

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

All About Ontario

In hindsight, if I add up the time it took at customs getting into and out of Canada, it comes close to the amount of time I actually spent in Canada. I crossed out of America and into America's funny looking top hat (Canada) via Rainbow Bridge at the fabled Niagara Falls. For the pleasure of biking on the side of the bridge I paid 50 cents. The first question I was asked, “What are you doing in Canada?”. This was a trick question, or so I made it out to be. I answered, “I'm biking across the country!” I assumed this would wow the guy, I’d get knighted and be on my way. Nope. He replied “Which country?” I forgot Canada was another country. I also forgot for my entire time in Ontario that they don’t speak French, but instead a form of American English. I was always surprised when I spoke to someone. Always. They let me in.

And that first night was spent with yet another amazing warmshower host, a close 15 miles from the border. Every warmshower host I have stayed with has been fabulous. This time was no exception. I was shown the country side, got a glimpse of Toronto, the local wineries, the poor Port Robertson whose bridge got taken out and now have a little ferry, all followed by a vegan curry. Amazing.

Day 2 started with a nice ride on a paved bike path following a canal towards Port Colborne. From there, I got my first view of Lake Erie and even dipped a toe in it's icy waters. I followed the lakes shoreline more or less the rest of the day. I made it to Port Dover, where, it seems they have a little tradition. A while ago, a few motorcyclists got together and rode down to Port Dover. From those humble beginnings, now over 200,000 motorcyclists show up in Port Dover every Friday the 13th. I was there on Wednesday but already bikers where coming in. I even shared a nice camping area with a few of them. I feel bad for them having a motor do all the work, but hey, whatever floats your boat I suppose. They were all nice people and pretty stoked about my trip.

Leaving Dover as more motorcyclists came in, I continued along the Erie shoreline, watching dark storm clouds bubble over the lake and off in the northern distances, but it was sunny over me. I stopped paying attention and before I knew it, I had cycled 105 miles are was near falling asleep in the saddle. Bypassed what could have been one of the sweetest looking places to camp, only to find the Clearville camp ground. Horribly, the ranger station was closed and wouldn't open till the next morning when I would (certainly) already be gone, so I wasn’t able to pay. But that next morning I paid for it in another way, the entire world was encased in fog...

Yes, it seemed all of Ontario was enveloped in the thickest fog I have ever seen. I could barely see more than 30 feet in front of me and I sure hoped the cars behind me could see me. The fog stayed around most of the day, slowly lifting as I neared the St. Clair river which separates the United States from its rowdy neighbor, Canada. I took the blue water ferry, so named for the blue waters, across to Marine City, Michigan. For this I paid $1.00. After 17 hours of the border dude puzzling over my nomad and feeling certain that I was somehow smuggling many guns and alcohol into America, I was granted entry into the country who issued my passport. Thanks.

And only 2 miles from there I had a warmshower welcome, and yet another truly amazing experience. I have met so many awesome people, not just with warmshowers, but everywhere I stop. I'm pleasantly surprised each and every time. So, it seemed what I thought would take me a week, took me 2 ½ days. Maybe since my bike was built in America it isn't used to kilometers and I was able to cover more ground quickly. Either way, here I am back in the good old US of A. I am now cycling westward across the state of Michigan towards its western coast, the Lake Michigan shoreline, which every Michiganer has raved about. I'll let you know. For now, I have been on the road for two weeks, and have nearly cycled 1,000 miles already. Insane.  Also, check out Fietspad, they put up one of my blog entries.

Keep pedaling.

4 comments:

Lucas and Noah said...

Too bad you won't eat escargo, it is in abundance in Windsor, Ontario.

Tami, SIL said...

Ross-Just caught up reading all your blogs. Glad you're having a nice time so far. Really glad you have a blog to update us on your adventures. The boys like looking at your pics and hearing about what your doing. They ask lots of questions that I make up the answers to. Harley and Norm are the biker guys you met!

One-Leg Chris said...

this is awesome. getting kinda b-snobby and i love it even more!

Suzette Taylor said...

Glad you enjoyed your day in Fonthill, Ross. We really enjoyed having you. Our next Warmshowers guest was a bit of a doofus - he turned up last Saturday evening, carrying a kitten that he'd acquired in the last place he'd stayed in his handlebar bag! Poor little thing looked traumatized, and now I'm worried about its future. Anyhow, Bon Voyage to you (sometimes we DO speak French here)!