Gear

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Making a splash

Sit a while, dear son;
Here are biscuits to eat, and here is milk to drink;
But as soon as you sleep, and renew yourself in sweet clothes, I kiss you with a good-bye kiss, and open the gate for your egress hence.

Long enough have you dream’d contemptible dreams;
Now I wash the gum from your eyes;
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light, and of every moment of your life.

Long have you timidly waded, holding a plank by the shore;
Now I will you to be a bold swimmer,
To jump off in the midst of the sea, rise again, nod to me, shout, and laughingly dash with your hair.


It is so easy to let your life be lead by others.  It's so very easy.  There is so much comfort in it, it's warm and reassuring.  And you can do it endlessly and no one will yell at you, no know will say stop, no one will question you because they are probably doing the very same thing.  How easy to let others decide what is right, what is wrong, moral and ethically, what is accepted behavior, what should be valued, what should be despised and avoided.  How easy it is to think you need something that only yesterday you never had, how easy to sit back and let others live your life, or to let others lives be ended for yours.  

I dont want to be alive, I am alive.  I want to free myself from self imposed and forced slavery from ideas, limitations, expectations, controls, rights and wrongs, thoughts of the future, thoughts of what if's.  Long enough have I lived a contemptible life, I will wash the gum from my eyes and venture forth.  No rules.  No plans.  No future.  Only today.  Only now. 

No comments: