Gear

Friday, March 2, 2012

Another moment



I tramp a perpetual journey;
My signs are a rain-proof coat, good shoes, and a staff
      cut from the woods;
No friend of mine takes his ease in my chair;—
I have no chair, no church, no philosophy,
I lead no man to a dinner-table, library, exchange;
But each man and each woman of you I lead upon a
      knoll,
My left hand hooking you round the waist,
My right hand pointing to landscapes of continents
      and the public road.

Not I, not any one else can travel that road for you,
     You must travel it for yourself.


I am reminded today that this day is another day upon the wondrous circle of life and death, and that we all continue perpetually on.  Pausing at times to reflect, we sometimes tack stock of where we are and judge.  But perhaps, on those days, those moments when we look, perhaps there is another way of seeing ourselves, our small life.  

Has any one supposed it lucky to be born?
I hasten to inform him or her it is just as lucky to die, and I
         know it. 

I pass death with the dying and birth with the new-wash'd babe,
         and am not contain'd between my hat and boots, 
And peruse manifold objects, no two alike and every one good,
The earth good and the stars good, and their adjuncts all good.

I am not an earth nor an adjunct of an earth,
I am the mate and companion of people, all just as immortal and
         fathomless as myself, 
(They do not know how immortal, but I know.)

Every kind for itself and its own, for me mine male and female,
For me those that have been boys and that love women,
For me the man that is proud and feels how it stings to be
         slighted, 
For me the sweet-heart and the old maid, for me mothers and the
         mothers of mothers, 
For me lips that have smiled, eyes that have shed tears,
For me children and the begetters of children.

Undrape! you are not guilty to me, nor stale nor discarded,
I see through the broadcloth and gingham whether or no,
And am around, tenacious, acquisitive, tireless, and cannot be 
         shaken away. 

Perhaps on this day we let go of our self judgments, our negative thoughts, the constraints
we place on ourselves and those imposed upon us.  We are not these selves we hold on to
so dearly after all.  So on this day I will take the time to just be.  Aware that I am here, in life,
amongst all the wondrous creatures and beauty that we have the miracle to behold.

No comments: