Gear

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Washington: The Everything State (Part 2 of 2)

Like the famous explorers, Merriweather Lewis and William Clark, I set off from Seattle with a shiny new drive train, fully packed food bag and a smile on my rested face via the ferry to Brainbridge Island where I crossed over onto the Olympic Peninsula and hooked up with the infamous highway, the 101.  It was a long day of highway biking and some frustrations trying to find the poorly signed Olympic Discovery bike trail but find it I did and I pulled into Port Angeles and a warmshower host on the edge of the Hurricane Ridge road.

My destination after leaving Port Angeles was unknown even to me.  I figured I would cycle till I stopped, either on the Pacific coast or in the rain forest, both of which were on my route.  I ended up camping by the coast at La Push, which I later learned is a now famous area due to the Twilight book series.  I got my first splash of the cold ocean water after nearly 4 months cycling across the states.

A short day followed as I made my way mostly east and into the Olympic National Park to hike in and camp at the Hoh Rain Forest.  Much different than tropical rain forest, and the big thing for me was that i was in the area in the United States that gets the most rain and I was getting sun and warmth.  Not to shabby I dare say.

After a night under the mossy trees, it was back west to the rugged and hard packed coast before heading east once again for the 2nd rain forest in the park. another hike, more wonderful slugs, and a cloudless night where the stars did shine bright.  An early start had me on the road along with the logging traffic as I altered between clear cuts and replanted forests.  Visited the super tourists town of Ocean Shores and spent a very very cold, foggy night camped behind their very nice high school.  A cool wet morning turned into a sunny warm day as I made my short way inland around Gray's Harbor and to Twin Harbor State Park where I meet up with my second touring partner of the trip thus far, Andrea the German.  The German was cycling the entire Pacific Coast trail from Vancouver to San Diego.  We rode for the next two days together, and most likely will bump into each other again, as all of us cyclists are pretty much on the same path south.


It was an 80 mile day to the south tip of Washington and the terminus of the Columbia river at Cape Disappointment.  This is near where the Lewis and Clark exploration ended.  This is not where we would end.  A hiker/biker site had me and the German, along with another team of two cycling south along the coast.  I know I will see many bikers for the next few weeks along the coast, a nice change from my nearly empty ride of other bikers for much of the last 4 months.

The end of my time in Washington was marked with a 4.1 mile bridge spanning the Columbia river to Astoria, Oregon.  We ran into a German couple cycling Alaska to Argentina and all four of us braved the bridge and rode helter skelter style till we were on dry land in the state of Oregon.

And so, I am now one day ride outside of Portland, where tomorrow will also mark the end of my 128 days on the road solo, from Burlington to Portland.  I am nervous, though probably not as much as Chris "Hop-a-long" Childers is, but still, nervous.  Stayed tuned for the much anticipated 4 month wrap up and summary, where I spill all the juicy stats of the last four months, make up a few fun facts, and give a vague idea of the next months to come.

Enjoy the photos at picasaweb.google.com/rossbikepics, enjoy the waning days of summer, and with freedom and love, keep pedaling.

No comments: