Gear

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Typhoon Interlude



So, we havent made it quite yet to the end of part two, but have made it through my first typhoon. Turns out thatyou cant, as the saying goes, trust an Australian to tell you when a typhoon is going to hit Japan. Twas supposed to be tonight, hence my seeking shelter in the nice city of Kanazawa. I am staying at my first 24 hours manga cafe and have internet and coffee galor. Anywho, the typhoon actually hit last night when i was naivley camping. The winds grew fierce and ugly and snapped my brittle little tent in two and i scurried for shelter under some sinks and watch the roof come off a nearby shed. Really amazing stuff.

After leaving Hokkaido i have been cycling moslty the north part of Honshu after a trip to the heart of the Alps in Kamikochi, watching monkeys get chased and then it was a dizzying downhill to Takayama and then back north to cycle around the Noto Hanot penisula. In a few days time i will make it to the real cultural heart of Japan, Kyoto, and then head north to cycle the oft forgotten northern coast to make my way around to Hiroshima.

I have put Mt. Fuji back on my map and might try to hit it near the end of my travels if certain ferries work out in my favor, who knows, plans and typhoons seem to change all the time. The hills seem to be getting easier and my cycling seems to be getting faster. I normally cruise through towns so i can enjoy the nature outside of them.

When i get to Hiroshima i will try to give a bit more details, as i have really only been in Honshu for about a week. I can say that Hokkaido was much nicer for cycling in terms of the width of shoulder space on raods and the availability of not being almost hit by rumbling trucks as i pass through 1,000 mountain tunnels across the Alps. But all in good fun.

Well binglers and Binglets, be kind

No comments: