Gear

Saturday, August 25, 2007

So long and thanks for all the cachupa

So this is most likely the last blog from Assomada as next week is the end of PST. Sure, it’s been fun, sure I’ve eaten more food in two months than I would have eaten in a normal year, and sure there were ups and downs with all the aspects of training, but am I happy to see it end? Am I? YES. While I have more than enjoyed my homestay family and the community in Ribeirao Manuel, its time for this galinha to fly the coop. So I’m off to Sao Nicolao to do something and live somewhere, none of which I know right now. All I do know is they speak a slightly different type of creole, so we can add that to the list of languages I speak poorly.

Next week is pretty much a roller coaster type weeks if weeks were classified as types of amusement park rides. For instance, I have my Portuguese test on Monday, a meeting with the Training Director on Wednesday, and then from Thursday on we all meet everyday and on Saturday we swear in as volunteers and they whisk us away to Praia and then to our sites.

We had a potential lose the beginning of this week, but they decided to stay on as they were offered a different opportunity in CV, so we are still 27 strong. Me and Nat have the columniation of a few weeks work this coming Sunday as we hope to have a trash pick up project actually come to fruition. For the past few weeks we have been trying to arrange a trash truck, trash bags, trash gloves and some money for snacks to have a trash pickup in our town for the 26th. We wrote professional Portuguese letters and everything. Then we spent every single day chasing after the people in the local Municipality to see if they would help provide us with materials. Basically, what it comes down to is it seems the average work day is like this:

Wake up around 8.
Think about going to work around 9
Go to work at 10
Go to lunch at 12.
Don’t come back from lunch for the day

So, its sorta hard to try to schedule things and arrange things when people are never, ever at work when you go to speak with them. But alas, something will be happening this Sunday and we have even heard a crazy rumor there might be a television camera.

Anywho, oh, a word again on mail, Ill have anew address soon, so hold out on sending those weights and/or elephant babies until then. Also, if you happen to be sending anything worth anything, try not to say that on the customs slip.

Hmmm, I suppose I haven’t really given much new information about life here or whats going on, but I’m not really sure what to say about it. So if you want to know something specific, let me k now. If you prefer to simply here me stutter and ramble, then just read these writings.

So until Sao Nicolao, ate logo.

PS: As of yesterday I leanred i have some matilda on nha corpo.

No comments: